Monday, November 27, 2017

#Time?

Time is seriously weird in the mission. The first few months can often feel like they drag on and on and on, and then it feels normal for a second. Then, once a missionary hits their year mark, it feels like slipping down a slide where there's no possible way to grab the edges and stop. That's how I feel right now. Here I am, my second Thanksgiving in the mission and I'm wondering where the time went. If anyone has the number for Father Time, please give it to me. I would like to speak with him.
I'm in love with this place! Ever since I have been put on bike, I get the chance to speak with so many more people. The people here, (especially Hawaiian Gardens) can be the most firmly against the Gospel, or the most humbly accepting of the Gospel. Recently I have felt like a tool in the Lord's hands as he has placed me in the fertile parts with people who's hearts have been prepared. That's not to say this work is easy by any means. We get appointments that fall through, members who last-minute flake, people who curse and make fun of us, and problems with every investigator coming out of the blue. I dare say the opposition has a very good hold on those here in Southern California. But the Lord has selected a few to accept his Gospel! I'm just glad to be here.
That being said, I hope you all passed a good Thanksgiving with your family. We had a few people who treated us as family and welcomed us in their home to feed us. So for us, those feelings aren't far away. But, of course the main part of Thanksgiving is THANKS. I hope you all had a good couple minutes to sit back and ponder what makes your life easier, and what you are thankful for. Sometimes it seems we can't appreciate something fully until it's taken from us. Here's a couple things I am grateful for.
1. My family, even though they're far away. I can feel their love and prayers daily.
2. Christ. He gave us the ultimate gift, his life.
3. The opportunity to serve in the Lord's vineyard. There's nothing that replaces these 2 years.
4. The Book of Mormon. It has brought me peace and knowledge in my life.
5. My friends. I have many friends serving in parts all around the world. I feel blessed to know we are all serving the same master, and that he has put us in the place where we can learn the most.
Just a couple examples. As we continue into this time of Christmas, let's not start to turn inwards and think what others can do or give to us. But let's turn outwards and reflect the true Character of Christ! Service!! If you have not seen the new Christmas video the church released, head right now to mormon.org and watch "Light the World".https://www.mormon.org/?cid=HP_FR_24-11-2017_dMIS_fMORG_xLIDyL1-A_ I also encourage you to print out the calendar and do your best to do all those things each day.
Elder Ramirez and I are having a great time out here serving the people of Hawaiian Gardens and Lakewood. We appreciate your prayers and thoughts as we do our best to work some of these people to the waters of baptism.
Con Amor,
Elder Horton



Happy Birthday Mom!


Friends of Elder Ramirez's family dropped by and brought us a yummy treat of croissants and hot chocolate!


Lupita and her awesome family


Bike Life


Elder Ramirez - Bike life


My comp cut his finger


No comments:

Post a Comment