Monday, July 16, 2018

#PicoRivera

Hey friends and family! How are you all!
So I didn't have very much time to write last week. To be honest, I didn't completely plan my time well. So I had my mom write my weekly for me. (Thanks Mom!!)
So that means I have 2 weeks worth of stuff to catch up on with you.
Yes, my new companion is named Elder Boulter. He's from St. George! that's my 3rd companion from St. George. We get along very well. He'll be my last companion, which means he will "kill" me. Which brings me to my next point.
Let me learn y'all some missionary vocabulary.
Your first area is the area in which you are "born"
Your first companion is your "dad" (for Elders)
Your last area is your "dying area"
When you finish your mission you "die" and your comp "kills" you.
So there you go!
These past 2 weeks have been heating up in my dying area of Pico Rivera. Especially last Friday and Saturday, where it got up to 120 in some parts. The humidity made it worse... That's something unexpected here in SoCal. But, thanks to modern technology and A/C, my companion and I survived.
The 4th of July was crazy! It looked, sounded, and felt like a war-zone. I had no idea how the people of Pico Rivera can blow things up so much.
Elder Boulter and I have been working very hard, because we both want to baptize this last transfer. We have a few people we are very excited about!
A**** is doing well. She still has not been baptized, but we're working on that. We still have some issues to work out with the parents, but all in God's timing it will go well.
D***** has been sick this whole last week so we were unable to meet with him. Beyond that, we are texting him Book of Mormon passages, inspiring quotes and videos, and trying to keep contact with him. He's got great desires, he's just simply busy. 
We taught a young man this week named L***. He was a new person being taught as of a week ago. This time, he gave us a chance to give our message. By the end, he was fully committed to read the Book of Mormon and find out for himself if the book is true. And because it is, he'll get his answer as long as he has Faith and True Intent!
We also taught an older gentleman named J****. He's a mechanic, and I always see him smiling. He's like that one happy uncle that we all have! He understands that attitude is everything. He has some doubts about Joseph Smith being called as a prophet, but we were able to help him understand how he can know for himself and our role as missionaries in that process.
In case you all didn't know, the big problem in the missionary work in Southern California is finding people at home. Life out here is so expensive that people are always on the go. They don't have time, really, to hear us out or give us some time to talk. On the same train of thought, a lot of people don't want to commit to a return appointment. They simply say "well if I'm home and not busy, sure I'll hear you guys out..." which could also mean they're not that interested. So it's a lot of knocking on doors with no answer. I would say that's our biggest struggle.
Well my mom told me there's a lot of people asking about when I get home. I'll be coming home August 14th. Roughly a month from now. Until then, I'll keep working off my hiney. As long as I can wear Jesucristo on my chest and be a full-time missionary, I'll work full-time for him. There's no replacement for this time and I'm so happy to keep working in His vineyard.
Con Amor,
Elder Horton



HOT!



Price head out



New Companion - Elder Boulter





Peruvian food

No comments:

Post a Comment