Monday, October 17, 2016

#wowza

Hey all! It's been quite the first week in the LB mission.
So coming into the mission was awesome. I got to see Elder Oniki as he picked me up from the airport. Then we were taken to the mission office where we had a good little orientation. After lunch, I was taken by some Zone Leaders to go contacting, which was a bit scary but then it went well. It took a while for president Patterson to make the assignments for the 26 new missionaries to their companions. After that, I met my companion Elder Ramirez. He's a super awesome guy and we get along very well.
We were driven to our new apartment, got out, and they drove off. So, we don't have a car while the 2 other companionships in our zone have one. We walk in the apartment which was completely trashed, all dirty dishes, and no food from the elders before. Turns out the elders before us got sent home early. Now I hate to complain, you all know, but bear with me for a second. So our apartment has no food, no clean dishes, it's trashed, me and my companion are whitewashing the area, I'm still sick, I don't understand the language, and we don't have a car. So haha... yeah it's been an interesting week. Luckily both me and my comp like to work hard so we fixed most of that and got him a rental bike to use. We're doing well.
Included in whitewashing is basically starting from scratch. Me and my companion have been trying to visit all the members to get to know them, and we have to organize all the papers we have of investigators. The last Elders were not very organized, and it seems as though none of the investigators have been taught in 4 months. We have to still visit a lot.
We get fed by members pretty much nightly. It's a great way to meet people. Even though I only understand about 50% of conversations, I can feel the love of the people here. Other sidenote, I feel that here, people have mastered the art of Spanglish.
Also, my apologies, I do not have pictures this week. I forgot to bring my camera to the library.
So yeah.. I think I am getting better. Thanks to everyone for your prayers on my behalf.
Lastly, I have a spiritual thought for you all. I know that if you work hard with a true intent in your heart for what you work for, the Lord will help you with what you need to do. The Lord loves hard workers. Always keep a prayer in your heart for the spirit to be with you, because sometimes it's hard.
Love,
Elder Horton

Note from Ryan's mom:
I stole a picture off of Facebook for Ryan's post today:)

2 comments:

  1. Ryan, my thoughts and prayers are with you. They chose well when they assigned you to this area. You will do awesome work. Faith keeps us strong. Always.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ryan, my thoughts and prayers are with you. They chose well when they assigned you to this area. You will do awesome work. Faith keeps us strong. Always.

    ReplyDelete