Monday, June 12, 2017

#Shoutouts

Hello folks! It's shoutout time!
First. S/o to Elder Bison Hancey who leaves for the MTC this Wednesday to learn Mandarin to go to Canada. He's joining the force and we're all so happy for him.
Second. S/o to my recently-released Stake President Russ Nielson for serving so honorably in his calling and for dealing with Pre-mission Elder Horton.
Third. I know this is a little late, but S/o to all those of you who graduated. You did it.
Well this week was a rollercoaster that didn't stop going up. Last Monday night, we went to an investigator's house to find her father, Nacho, there visiting from Mexico. He was open to listen to our message so we taught it. He heard us out and loved everything. He's catholic by tradition, but had never gone to church nor prayed. He needed God, and that's exactly what we gave him. It was an incredible experience as we taught this man how to pray and committed him to be baptized on the 24th of June, the day before he goes home. Sadly, they didn't show up to church so they will not be able to meet the requirement of 3 weeks church attendance before he can be baptized. However we will continue to teach him and his family, increase his faith in Christ, and prepare him for baptism so the missionaries at his home in Mexico can baptize him.
Also throughout the week we found 6 new investigators and had 4 investigators at church. That's absolutely incredible if you're not familiar with the norm here. They have a "standard of excellence" which we met for the first time this transfer. And honestly, it felt extremely satisfying as a missionary to see the fruits of my labors. We are truly working to bring souls unto Christ.
I made a stir-fry this week. I burned my finger, and I burned the vegetables a little, but it turned out awesome! I felt like a real chef cutting up vegetables and chicken and cooking them on our stove. It was really tasty, too.
That's about all from the life of Elder Horton. A lot of missionary work here. Transfer calls are this week, so I will be learning whether or not I will stay for a 5th transfer here in Long Beach East. I really do hope I'll be staying, because Elder Wallis and I are just getting started! We've really found a groove for when we teach, we get along super well, and we're just seeing a lot of results from our work. But if I am transferred, I will serve happily in the new place I go to. It will be sad to leave this beautiful branch with all the great members and leadership. BUT let's just see!
I hope you're all doing well. Send me an email with how you're doing on a scale of 1-10 mentally, physically, and spiritually. And as always, let me know if there's anything I can do or help with you! I'll do anything I can in my power.
Quick spiritual thought: An investigator of mine mentioned to us that it's even a blessing that we have food on our plates and a place to live. Seems simple, yet it's so profound. I'm not sure I could imagine my life if the Lord didn't bless me with the things I take for granted every day. I'm so blessed to be a missionary and spread the word of the Lord. This week, I saw the Lord work miracles through me. I'm just a tool! I may not be very sharp but he uses me. I hope we all take a minute to sit down and think how blessed we are, with each little thing we have. I'm blessed to be here in a library with as much time as I want, to email my family, sitting on a chair and gah... everything's a blessing. We need to thank the Lord a lot more.
Anyways, sorry for rambling. Love you all.

Elder Horton


Happy Guy!


Selfie-deserved stir-fry


The view from Signal Hill, a full 300 degrees of that!


The famous Elder Wallis with a chicken.  Welcome to Long Beach!

No comments:

Post a Comment